navigation bar

aboutcraftsrecipessnapshotsfaithheres to lovelydesignblogrollcontact

8/5/11

thoughts on solitude

photo taken on my diana f+ camera
i recently read an incredible article by william deresiewicz on the "end of solitude". here are some of my favorite passages from the article:


"If boredom is the great emotion of the TV generation, loneliness is the great emotion of the Web generation. We lost the ability to be still, our capacity for idleness. They have lost the ability to be alone, their capacity for solitude...Today's young people seem to feel that they can make themselves fully known to one another. They seem to lack a sense of their own depths, and of the value of keeping them hidden. If they didn't, they would understand that solitude enables us to secure the integrity of the self as well as to explore it."

how do you go about finding solitude in your day, in your life?

4 comments:

  1. OooOoo. This is good girl. I don't know how to answer that. MY solitude is my time I spend with praying, reading Gods word or REading a book. I don't journal quite as much anymore but I definitely enjoy journaling by myself at a coffee shop or in my car... I like this quote though. I agree completely!

    blessings hun

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things I like is my driving time to and from work. It's the moment when I'm alone with my thoughts, looking at the world, just me and my car... with 1/2 hour of alone time. Because I live alone (for the moment being) I'm alone a lot and I enjoy those last minutes when I'm taking a shower and I hear/see nothing.
    But this 'solitude' is too much for me at the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm one of those crazier kids who is content with solitude. (Not all the time, of course, but fairly often I like to be alone for awhile.) Things I do for that alone-time... journaling, photography (self portraits), time in the Word, reading alone in my room, turning off my cell phone and getting away from the computer, going out on my deck at night and looking at the stars while praying or thinking or singing, turning off the radio in my car and talking to God on the way to work or just sitting in the relative silence. I love those things... those moments. They're important. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this thought. I'm actually enjoying a rare quiet moment home alone. It's so nice to have my family around, but I also enjoy my own company. It's not always easy to carve out a peaceful chunk of alone time. I usually just take them when I get them. You could always wake up early or stay up late. Or take your coffee outside & watch the sunrise before the crazy day begins. :)

    ReplyDelete

hello, friend! thanks for stopping by. leave me a link to your blog so I can visit you!