navigation bar

aboutcraftsrecipessnapshotsfaithheres to lovelydesignblogrollcontact

6/6/11

eyes on heaven country

photo from the san juan islands, taken on my diana camera
this concept is something that really bounced around in my mind a while back. the verse comes from the chapter in hebrews that talks about people in the bible (like abraham, sarah, etc) who will be rewarded for their faith. it says, "each one of these people of faith died not yet having in hand what was promised, but still believing. how did they do it? they saw it way off in the distance, waved their greeting, and accepted the fact that they were transients in this world. people who live this way make it plain that they are looking for their true home" (Hebrews 11:13-14, The Message version). I feel like this kind of living is so rare in our american culture. we like to see the "fruits of our labour" right away, we don't like to be kept waiting. what all of the people mentioned in this chapter have in common, however, is that they did not see God's promise come through in their lifetime, but they put their full hope in God, kept their eyes on the promise of heaven, and did the things God asked them to do. I love the imagery of the verse: "they were after a far better country than that - heaven country". they knew that they were not of this world; they were destined for a far better place, heaven, and that knowledge allowed them to put their faith in God and his plans despite the pains, adversity, or struggles that constantly wear one down in this life.
I want to live like this: with my eyes on heaven country. suddenly the things of this world, the materialism, pain, drama...don't mean as much anymore because they are not forever.
but heaven is.

1 comment:

  1. very well said! I actually just read this passage a couple of weeks ago and I too was amazed at how these people still held on to God's promises even though they did not see what happened in their lifetime.. it has taught me to just hold on to His promises and you are right .. focus on "heavenly country"
    good post!

    ReplyDelete

hello, friend! thanks for stopping by. leave me a link to your blog so I can visit you!